“Think about what makes your website unique, valuable, or engaging. Make sure your website stands out from others in your field.”
– from the Google webmaster guidelines 1
Your site can be better
This article will help point out some things that any webpage can improve.
If your users don’t think your site is useful, unique, valuable or engaging then Google won’t think it either.
Your website is what users interact with. The best thing you can do is make it better than your competitors.
Successful webmasters think like this…
- What do my users need / want?
- How can I make something better for my users?
- I will work on my website until I know for a fact that my website is better than others in my field
- I will look at some of my webpages today and make a list of what can be improved
Unsuccessful webmasters think about things like this…
- How many words should go on a page?
- What is the latest SEO tactic?
- How many times should I use my key words on a page?
- How many links do I have to my site?
Think about what makes a website great
There has never been, and will never be a website that became great by having the right amount of characters in a title or the right percentage of keywords.
Before spending time and money on SEO things, think about the people you want using your webpages and how you can make their lives easier by providing what they are looking for.
Great websites pleasure their users. They do so by providing better, more useful, and more engaging content. The goal is not just to provide information, it is to provide information uniquely and distinctly in your own way.
Every webpage of your site is an opportunity to do better. Every website can be improved. Every one of your pages could use an update of some sort that would make it a better resource for your users.
If you want your website to rank higher in Google search results you must find a way to have people enjoy your website more. This can be accomplished in several ways.
Improving your website for users
The best way to have your website rank higher is to make it better for your users. Being better requires that your website is one or some of these types of things in comparison to your competitors…
- more useful
- more simple
- more comprehensive
- more funny
- solve problems quicker or more effectively
- more visually stunning
- more current
- more functional for mobile devices
- more accessible
- faster to load
You won’t rank high in Google if people do not enjoy your site
Think about why people would want to use your website and then make it even better for them.
In the years I have spent working in SEO the mistake I have seen most often is people who think their website is “done”. Since they think it is done, they spend time on things like SEO instead of improving their website. Your website is not “done” until your are ranking where you want to and serving your users better than any of your competition. If you are not ranking as high as you want, your website is not done.
- Follow the Google webmaster guidelines
- Update the design of your site by getting a new theme.
- Instead of spending an hour a day reading SEO blogs, spend an hour reading blogs that cover your subject. Interact with and observe those blogs and resources. Why do people like them?
- Accept that your website can be better.
- Instead of checking your website statistics, check your own webpages and make sure you have the best information possible for your users.
- Look at just one webpage on your website and figure out how it can be better for your users.
- Consider adding unique or more specific images and graphics.
- Go right now. Leave this page and look at one of your own. We will still be here when you come back.
- Enjoy the process. It is fun and exciting to make webpages you are proud of. It feels good to help your users.
Optimize your website by making it awesome and notable to the actual people you want using it.